Please upgrade your web browser

These pages are built with modern web browsers in mind, and are not optimized for Internet Explorer 8 or below. Please try using another web browser, such as Internet Explorer 9, Internet Explorer 10, Internet Explorer 11, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Apple Safari.

How can I pursue a career as an electrician


Yamil Chaheine El Paso, TX

I'm interested in pursuing a career as an electrician, but I don't have any guidance

11 November 2019 4 replies Career Exploration



Robert C Lawrenceville, GA

Yamil: the best way to become an electrician is to join your local electricians union as an apprentice. The apprenticeship includes training and guaranteed pay raises every six months until you reach journeyman. It will take about 6 years to reach journeyman. Seek out the nearest IBEW (International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers). You may need to move but it will be worth it. There are also known union electrical organizations but they are not as good. After you become a journeyman find a community college or an organization that will teach you the National Electrical Code and prepare you to sit for your exam. After you pass, you will obtain your license and you can then set up your own business or work for someone else. A licensed electrician makes more money that one who is not licensed. After you get your license you could also become an electrical inspector. Almost every city and county employees electrical inspectors to inspect new construction and remodeling. It's an excellent career choice. I admire your determination. Be on time to work, get your assigned tasks done quickly, keeping pushing those over you to learn more. The electrical codes change every three years - you will be learning the rest of your life.


Yamil Chaheine El Paso, TX

I already found a trade school I'll be attending, but the problem is that El Paso is a dead end. Any advice in which part of Texas would be the best choice to start as an apprentice electrician?


Robert Rahni New York, NY

To piggyback off June, consider forgoing the use of any GI BILL® educational benefits you may have at your disposal for the certificate/license as the cost of attendance may not be too high. This way you could save your GI BILL® in the event you were to pursue a undergraduate or graduate degree at a College or University.


June R Massoud Burlington, VT

You have to go to a trades school that teaches you to become an electrician. Go to your nearby community college and ask them where to apply in your neighborhood. Then get back to me for further advice.

Your Answer

Please log in to answer this question.

Sign Up

You can join as either a Veteran or an Advisor.

An Advisor already has a career, with or without military experience, and is willing to engage with and help veterans.
Sign Up as an Advisor.

A Veteran has military experience and is seeking a new career, or assistance with life after service.
Sign Up as a Veteran.