Please upgrade your web browser

These pages are built with modern web browsers in mind, and are not optimized for Internet Explorer 8 or below. Please try using another web browser, such as Internet Explorer 9, Internet Explorer 10, Internet Explorer 11, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Apple Safari.

My husband is based out of Hawaii army base. We both got married in India on 9 March, 2022 and I am an Indian. I would like to get a job in the USA so that I can move with my husband


Jasintha Ravi

I am a military spouse looking for jobs in digits marketing/ branding/ communication fields.

There are certain challenges in finding jobs and getting around them seems really hard. My husband is based out of Hawaii army base. We both got married in India on 9 March, 2022 and I am an Indian. I would like to get a job in the USA so that I can move with my husband.

Can anyone guide me through the process?

2 June 2023 2 replies Military to Civilian Transition



Amit Chaudhary San Jose, CA

Most job search are time consuming and need focus. Feel free to create threads with specific questions.


Richard Byrne Hillsborough, NJ

I'm not an immigration attorney, so I formatted your query and posed it to a popular generative AI platform. Please consider this if you use this information. What follows is the session, cut, pasted and edited to conceal the name of the AI platform :

How would an Indian digital marketer and communications and branding enthusiast with 15 + years of experience who is a military spouse married last year in India looking out for job prospects whose husband is based out of Hawaii get a job in the United States so that she could move with her husband?

Finding a job in the United States as an Indian digital marketer and communications and branding enthusiast can be challenging, but with the right approach and preparation, you can increase your chances of success. Here are some steps you can take:

Update your resume: Tailor your resume to highlight your relevant skills, experience, and achievements. Make sure to focus on your digital marketing, communications, and branding expertise. Adapt your resume to the US job market standards, emphasizing measurable results and using a clear, concise format.

Research the job market: Explore the digital marketing and communications industry in the location where your husband is based (Hawaii). Identify companies that align with your skills and career goals. Research their hiring practices, culture, and requirements. Use online job portals, industry-specific websites, and professional networking platforms to find job opportunities.

Networking: Build a professional network in the United States by joining online communities, industry forums, and social media groups. Connect with professionals in your field and attend relevant events and conferences. Networking can provide you with valuable insights, job leads, and referrals.

Online job portals: Utilize popular job search websites such as LinkedIn, Indeed, Glassdoor, and Monster to search for job opportunities in the United States. Create a strong profile on these platforms and actively apply for relevant positions.

LinkedIn: LinkedIn is a powerful professional networking tool. Create a compelling LinkedIn profile, highlighting your experience, skills, and achievements. Connect with professionals in your field and engage with industry-related content. Join relevant LinkedIn groups and participate in discussions to expand your network and increase visibility.

Professional certifications: Consider obtaining relevant certifications in digital marketing or branding from recognized institutions. This can enhance your credibility and demonstrate your commitment to professional development. Some well-known certifications include Google Ads, Google Analytics, HubSpot, and Hootsuite.

Work authorization: Understand the work authorization requirements in the United States. As a military spouse, you may be eligible for certain benefits or programs that facilitate employment opportunities. Look into the Military Spouse Employment Partnership (MSEP) and the Spouse Education and Career Opportunities (SECO) program, which provide resources and support for military spouses seeking employment.

Remote work: Given your circumstances, consider exploring remote work options. Many companies now offer remote or flexible work arrangements, which could allow you to work from Hawaii while supporting your husband's military service.

Prepare for interviews: Familiarize yourself with common interview questions and practice your responses. Research the companies you apply to, their clients, and their industry. Showcase your knowledge, expertise, and passion for digital marketing, communications, and branding during interviews.

Be persistent and proactive: Job searching can take time, especially when transitioning to a new country. Stay positive, be persistent, and remain proactive in your job search efforts. Follow up with companies after submitting applications or attending interviews to express your continued interest.

Remember, securing a job in the United States may require time and effort. Be open to considering various opportunities, including entry-level positions or freelance projects, to gain a foothold in the market. Networking and building relationships with professionals in your industry will play a crucial role in your success. Good luck with your job search!

What challenges to working in the U.S. would such an Indian Military Spouse face?

An Indian military spouse seeking employment in the United States may face several challenges. Here are some common obstacles they might encounter:

Work authorization: One of the primary challenges for an Indian military spouse is obtaining work authorization. While military spouses are eligible for certain benefits and programs, including work authorization, the process may still involve navigating through bureaucratic procedures and meeting specific requirements.

Relocation: Moving to a new country, even within the context of being a military spouse, can be a significant challenge. Adjusting to a new culture, finding suitable housing, and establishing a support system can be daunting. Additionally, relocation may require leaving behind a professional network and potentially starting from scratch in terms of building new connections.

Limited job opportunities: The availability of job opportunities in the desired field may vary depending on the location. Certain areas, such as Hawaii, may have a more limited job market, particularly in specific industries like digital marketing and branding. This could potentially limit the number of available positions and increase competition.

Credential recognition: The recognition and validation of educational qualifications and professional certifications obtained outside of the United States can pose a challenge. Some employers may require additional evaluation or re-certification processes, which can be time-consuming and may impact the job search timeline.

Cultural adaptation: Adapting to a new work culture and professional environment can be challenging. Different workplace norms, communication styles, and expectations may require some adjustment. Building rapport with colleagues and understanding the local work culture can take time and effort.

Networking and professional connections: Building a professional network in a new country can be crucial for job opportunities. However, initially, an Indian military spouse may lack local contacts and connections. Building new relationships and establishing professional connections through networking events, industry associations, and online platforms can be a gradual process.

Lack of local experience: Some employers may prioritize candidates with local experience, which can put an Indian military spouse at a disadvantage. Demonstrating the transferability of skills and leveraging relevant international experience can help mitigate this challenge.

Employer perceptions: Unfortunately, biases or misconceptions about foreign qualifications and work experience may exist among some employers. Overcoming these perceptions and effectively communicating the value and relevance of your skills and experience is essential.

Despite these challenges, it's important to stay positive, persistent, and proactive in the job search. Leveraging resources for military spouses, engaging in networking activities, and seeking professional development opportunities can help overcome these obstacles and increase the likelihood of finding suitable employment in the United States.

What steps would such a Military spouse need to take to become a U.S. citizen?

Becoming a U.S. citizen as a military spouse involves several steps. Here's an overview of the process:

Understand eligibility: To become a U.S. citizen, you must meet certain eligibility criteria. These include being at least 18 years old, having a green card (permanent resident status) for at least three years (or five years if not married to a U.S. citizen), and being able to demonstrate good moral character.

File Form N-400: The first step is to file Form N-400, the Application for Naturalization, with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). This form requires personal information, supporting documentation, and payment of the application fee. Make sure to carefully follow the instructions and provide accurate information.

Biometrics appointment: After submitting the Form N-400, you will receive a notice for a biometrics appointment. At this appointment, your fingerprints, photograph, and signature will be taken for background checks.

Complete an interview: Once the biometrics are processed, you will be scheduled for an interview with a USCIS officer. The interview aims to assess your eligibility for citizenship and includes questions about your background, application, and knowledge of U.S. history and government. Prepare for the interview by studying the provided study materials and reviewing your application.

Language and civics test: As part of the naturalization process, you will need to demonstrate proficiency in English and pass a civics test. The English language test assesses your ability to speak, read, and write English, while the civics test evaluates your knowledge of U.S. history and government. Study materials are available on the USCIS website.

Oath of Allegiance: If your application is approved, you will be scheduled for an oath ceremony. During this ceremony, you will take the Oath of Allegiance, renouncing allegiance to your previous country and pledging loyalty to the United States. After taking the oath, you will receive a Certificate of Naturalization, officially granting you U.S. citizenship.

It's important to note that the process may vary slightly, and USCIS updates its requirements periodically, so it's essential to refer to the USCIS website and consult with an immigration attorney for the most accurate and up-to-date information. Additionally, military spouses may be eligible for expedited naturalization under certain circumstances, such as if their spouse is serving in the U.S. military and deployed overseas.

How long would it take for such a Military Spouse to become a U.S. citizen?

The timeline for a military spouse to become a U.S. citizen can vary depending on various factors, including the specific circumstances and the processing times of U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Generally, the naturalization process for military spouses can be expedited compared to other applicants.

On average, the processing time for Form N-400, the Application for Naturalization, can range from several months to over a year. USCIS provides estimated processing times on their website, which can give you an idea of the current timeline.

Once the application is submitted and the biometrics appointment is completed, the next steps include the interview, language test, and civics test. These steps are typically scheduled within a few months of the biometrics appointment, but the specific timing may vary based on the workload of USCIS.

If the military spouse qualifies for expedited naturalization under the Immigration and Nationality Act Section 319(b), the processing time may be faster. This provision allows for expedited processing if the spouse is married to a U.S. citizen who is serving in the U.S. armed forces and is stationed abroad.

It's important to note that the timeline can also be influenced by factors such as USCIS workload, administrative processing, and any additional documentation or information required. Therefore, it's advisable to regularly check the USCIS website for updates on processing times and consult with an immigration attorney for guidance specific to your situation.

Overall, while the naturalization process can take several months, military spouses may benefit from expedited processing, which can shorten the timeline compared to other applicants.

Would such a Military spouse be able to obtain dual U.S and Indian citizenship?

India does not recognize dual citizenship, meaning that Indian citizens who acquire citizenship of another country may lose their Indian citizenship. However, the Indian government does offer an Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) card, which provides certain benefits and privileges to foreign nationals of Indian origin.

If an Indian military spouse chooses to become a U.S. citizen, it is likely that they would need to renounce their Indian citizenship. Renouncing Indian citizenship involves a formal process, and it is advisable to consult with the Indian embassy or consulate in the United States for specific guidance and requirements.

Renouncing Indian citizenship would mean that the military spouse would no longer hold Indian citizenship and would not be considered a citizen of India. Instead, they would acquire U.S. citizenship through the naturalization process.

It's important to note that immigration and citizenship laws are subject to change, and the requirements and options can vary depending on individual circumstances and the policies of the respective governments. Therefore, it is recommended to seek professional advice from the Indian embassy or consulate and consult with an immigration attorney to fully understand the implications and requirements of renouncing Indian citizenship and obtaining U.S. citizenship.

Could such a Military Spouse become a permanent U. S. resident with the OCI card?

No, the Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) card does not confer permanent resident status in the United States. The OCI card is issued by the Indian government and provides certain benefits to foreign nationals of Indian origin. It is meant to facilitate travel to India, grant residency and work benefits in India, and provide some rights similar to Non-Resident Indians (NRIs).

However, the OCI card does not grant permanent resident status or any immigration benefits in the United States. If a military spouse wants to become a permanent resident in the United States, they would need to explore other avenues, such as obtaining a green card (permanent resident status) through family sponsorship, employment-based immigration, or other available immigration pathways.

The process for obtaining permanent residency in the United States can be complex and involves meeting specific eligibility criteria, filing the appropriate immigration applications, and going through the necessary legal processes. It is recommended to consult with an immigration attorney or seek guidance from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to explore the available options and determine the most suitable pathway for permanent residency in the United States.

How would such a Military spouse obtain a work Visa in the United States?

To obtain a work visa in the United States, a military spouse would typically need to follow the same procedures as any other foreign national. Here are some common steps involved in obtaining a work visa:

Determine visa eligibility: Determine the appropriate work visa category based on your qualifications, job offer, and the requirements set by the U.S. government. The most common work visa categories include H-1B (specialty occupation), L-1 (intra-company transferee), and O-1 (individuals with extraordinary ability).

Find a sponsoring employer: Secure a job offer from a U.S. employer who is willing to sponsor your work visa. The employer must be willing to initiate the visa process on your behalf and comply with the relevant immigration regulations.

Labor Condition Application (LCA): For certain work visa categories, such as the H-1B, the employer must obtain an approved Labor Condition Application (LCA) from the U.S. Department of Labor. This involves ensuring compliance with prevailing wage requirements and other labor-related conditions.

File the visa petition: The sponsoring employer files the appropriate visa petition with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). The specific form and documentation required will depend on the chosen work visa category.

Wait for visa petition approval: USCIS will review the visa petition and, if approved, issue a Notice of Approval (Form I-797). This indicates that the petition has been accepted, and you can proceed to the next step.

Visa application and interview: After the visa petition is approved, you will need to apply for a work visa at a U.S. embassy or consulate in your home country. This typically involves completing the required visa application forms, paying the visa fees, and attending an interview to establish your eligibility.

Attend the visa interview: During the visa interview, a consular officer will assess your qualifications, job offer, and intent to return to your home country after the work assignment. Be prepared to provide supporting documents and answer questions related to your employment and background.

Visa issuance and entry to the U.S.: If your visa application is approved, the U.S. embassy or consulate will issue the work visa. You can then travel to the United States and present the visa to the U.S. Customs and Border Protection officer at the port of entry. Upon entry, the officer will determine the length of your authorized stay.

It's important to note that the process and requirements for work visas can vary depending on the specific visa category, individual circumstances, and any changes in U.S. immigration policies. It is highly recommended to consult with an immigration attorney or seek guidance from the U.S. embassy or consulate to understand the most appropriate work visa category for your situation and to ensure compliance with the latest immigration regulations.

Your Answer

Please log in to answer this question.

Sign Up

You can join as either a Veteran or an Advisor.

An Advisor already has a career, with or without military experience, and is willing to engage with and help veterans.
Sign Up as an Advisor.

A Veteran has military experience and is seeking a new career, or assistance with life after service.
Sign Up as a Veteran.