Please upgrade your web browser

These pages are built with modern web browsers in mind, and are not optimized for Internet Explorer 8 or below. Please try using another web browser, such as Internet Explorer 9, Internet Explorer 10, Internet Explorer 11, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Apple Safari.


How do I land a government research psychology career after I retire next year?


Gary Gonzalez Yelm, WA

I am currently working to complete my psychology PhD and want to be able to begin a new government career in research psychology once I retire. I realize that this will likely take a precise network and that it may require stepping stones. I need help establishing the right network especially since I currently reside in Washington state and I'm trying to transition to Texas between the Dallas and Austin areas.

26 October 2018 1 reply Military to Civilian Transition



Molly Fortunoff New York, NY

Hi Gary,

Thank you for your service, and for reaching out!

I’d encourage you to utilize our community feature to reach out to advisors who have experience in government and education. You can search for advisors by location, experience and expertise! I suggest you reach out to advisors in Texas so they can provide you with more specific guidence. Feel free to reach out to as many advisors as you would like!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions!


Your Answer

Please log in to answer this question.

Sign Up

You can join as either a Veteran or an Advisor.

An Advisor already has a career, with or without military experience, and is willing to engage with and help veterans.
Sign Up as an Advisor.

A Veteran has military experience and is seeking a new career, or assistance with life after service.
Sign Up as a Veteran.