- The Healthcare Association of New York State
- Government, Policy, & International Affairs
- Washington, DC
The Healthcare Association of New York State (HANYS) is seeking a Senior Director, Federal Relations within the Federal Policy team. Reporting into the Senior Vice President, Federal Policy, the position holder as a federally registered lobbyist, will represent HANYS members’ federal legislative and regulatory positions to Congress and federal departments and agencies; draft and communicate federal advocacy information to HANYS members and the HANYS Board of Trustees. The position holder will also be responsible in implementing grassroots lobbying activities; actively engage partners in advocacy and DC-based national hospital associations as well as assist in the development and management of federal health policy initiatives on behalf of HANYS members.
This position is based in our Washington DC office and the incumbent will be required to be present in the DC office, especially when US Congress is in session, during member visits and advocacy days. A hybrid work arrangement maybe considered.
Key responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Participates in HANYS federal legislative and regulatory advocacy programs, including:
o Represents HANYS at meetings with members of the New York Congressional delegation and maintain relationships with legislative/regulatory staff,
o Participates in federal policy development/research and legislative tracking,
o Collaborates with staff in other HANYS’ divisions to develop appropriate policy positions,
o Works with staff from the American Hospital Association, other national, state and regional hospital associations to facilitate coordination of advocacy activities,
o Works with staff from HANYS member institutions to understand member-specific advocacy priorities,
o Communicates HANYS federal activities to HANYS members and responds to member inquiries through one-on-one written and oral communication, and during site visits to member institutions.
• Drafts written communication on federal advocacy for dissemination to the HANYS membership, Congressional legislative staff, and government agencies, including:
o HANYS News, member updates and other communication vehicles,
o Material for posting on HANYS web site and HANYS Executive Suite,
o HANYS Board Book materials,
o HANYS Federal Issues Papers, Federal Agenda, other policy papers and memorandums.
• Assists with the development and implementation of HANYS grassroots advocacy activities, including:
o HANYS annual federal advocacy activities, held in conjunction with the American Hospital Association annual membership meeting,
o Issue-specific Washington advocacy days, occurring throughout the year,
o District-specific advocacy opportunities for hospital CEOs and their US Representatives,
o Developing HANYS member tool kits and advocacy packets, and
o Other necessary grassroots activities.
• Responds to general federal policy and advocacy inquiries from lawmakers and HANYS members, and overall association function inquiries.
• Actively participates in external meetings, presentations, and member engagements.
• At least five years of health policy experience and/or public policy related experience, master’s degree is a plus. An equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to satisfactorily perform the duties of the job may be substituted.
• Knowledge of legislative and regulatory process, strong writing, analytical, communications and interpersonal skills are required.
• Knowledge of health care policy, financing issues affecting hospitals, health systems, and continuing care providers, preferred.
• Ability to coordinate multiple projects, meet aggressive deadlines, and work collaboratively with external constituents, members, and staff.
• Flexibility to travel throughout New York State as needed.
We offer the opportunity to work in a dynamic environment that serves the health care industry as well as a competitive salary and an excellent benefits package, including a 401(k) Plan.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other legally protected status.
Please apply at: https://www.hanys.org/about/careers/