what represents the best candidate?
Unfortunately like most people you asked the wrong question. The question is how can you take control of an interview and ensure you get your primary points discussed? First let me share a little known secret with you. Over 97% of all people who are interviewing have never been trained. Therefore they make up an approach. The other 3% have normally been trained incorrectly.
I have a solution. I will do a one hour training session that is designed to make you a "killer interviewer"' I have done this for 26 people, all were successful. Some were trying to gain entrance in the top graduate schools in the country; some were career changers like you; others were applying to a new company and others were trying to get a promotion.
If interested send me an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Warmly, Bob Molluro CEO Benchmark consulting Services.
The unfortunate reality is that many hiring managers look for candidates that think like they do and have similar backgrounds. You can't change who you are but you can research the background of the key managers and brush up areas shown in their backgrounds.
In a word, Ellieth, TALENT.
Greetings! To be very brief, I think you should step back and assess YOUR talents. With that knowledge, tailor your search to careers with opportunities whose demands are consistent with your talents.
For many years, I recruited in voluntary non-profit and proprietary organizations. In both instances the question was always, "Does this person have the talents necessary to do this job?" I have never been focused on experience as one can learn skills. A "good education" just means that you CAN learn. You cannot learn a talent. You either have it or you don't.
Would you knowingly hire an introvert for a receptioonist position?
Start by doing this (free) . . . . go to this web site and take the assessment. Share the results with me IF YOU WISH, and I will give you my two cents worth (also free). Do so off channel and if you choose to have my input, let me know both the letter and associated number.
Regards, Dr. Hank
That's a good question. I recently retired as someone who actively hired people to work in my department. Here is what I was looking for:
1. Good answers to the Targeted Selection questions
2. Reasonably nimble - could develop a solid answer in a minute or two
3. The answer itself - I would brief people that I was looking for the Situation, the task, the action they took, not someone else, and the Result - did they get the effect they were looking for.
I have found that if I just listen to the candidates, I can find the ones that will work in the organization best, and that's what we've done. We have had great success with that approach.
Good luck in your job search. Let me know if you have further questions or if I could be of more assistance.
I think some managers may look for education, certifications, etc. I also think many will look for learning agility and a good attitude. You may not have done exactly what is on the job description, but if you can tell a story about a time in your military career you had to quickly learn something new, maybe it went well, maybe it didn't (and talk about what you learned from your mistakes) - that will go a long way with a hiring manager.
Don't underestimate how far learning agility and a good attitude will take you in an interview. In my experience, I like working for managers that value those things over certifications. Those are the types of managers that have spent more time coaching me and developing me.
Hiring manager are looking for education, certifications as well as experience. Do not discount your military experience, because it is very valuable. When preparing your resume have someone review it and also do mock interviews to be prepared. Let the hiring manager know your goals and what you can bring to the position. Listen to make sure the company is a fit for you and your goals. This will lead to your being successful in your interview and being hired in a company you will enjoy working in!
I’d suggest that you network at the target company or industry. Use LinkedIn to find people already working there and reach out to them. Ask them the process they used to get hired and ask them to help you navigate the hiring process and if they are willing, ask them to submit you as a referral. These activities require much more time on your part but in my opinion would greatly increase your chances for success. Good luck!
The question: What are YOU looking for?
Please log in to answer this question.