Please upgrade your web browser

These pages are built with modern web browsers in mind, and are not optimized for Internet Explorer 8 or below. Please try using another web browser, such as Internet Explorer 9, Internet Explorer 10, Internet Explorer 11, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Apple Safari.

Recommended Certifications and/or Training for Public Health


Vanessa Griffith Augusta, GA

Good evening everyone,

I recently earned my doctorate in Public Health but I have very little experience. As a result, I am currently volunteering wherever I can (local health department, university, Army medical center) to gain additional practical experience. In the meantime, I am currently working on my resume and was wondering what type of certifications/training would be appropriate to attain in public health.

I am primarily interested in infectious diseases (HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis, STDs). Any help is greatly appreciated.

23 January 2020 3 replies Education & Training



Henry ("Dr. Hank") Stevens Fort Lauderdale, FL

Thank you for your service, my fellow Vet!

In addition to NOLT's useful comments, I offer the following . . . . target your career objective, identify others who are on that path (preferably seasoned senior people), and request an "informational interview." Once you know where you want to go, getting there is usually a matter of who you know and who refers you.

Thus, I am ASSUMING that you have identified your talents and know them well enough to move in that direction! If not, and you would like some guidance, let me know at and I will help - free.

Final thought: get/read the book, WHAT COLOR IS YOUR PARACHUTE, by Bolles. It is richly populated with valuable information covering, all aspects of careers; e.g., resume writing, cover letters, interviewing techniques, identifying your talents, & MUCH etcetera.


Vanessa Griffith Augusta, GA

Thank you so much for the advice, Ms. Nolt. My degree is from Capella University, which is not CEPH-accredited, which means I have to work in public health for about 3 - 5 years before I am eligible for CPH.

I thought about pursuing CHES, but because my concentration is in epidemiology, I would probably have to take some additional courses to satisfy the examination eligibility standards.

I would love to keep in touch with you, if you do not mind.


Kate Nolt Glen Mills, PA

Hi Vanessa,
Thank you so much for your service and for posting. I would be happy to also discuss this offline, if you wish to follow up. There is a certificate that is the CHES (Certified Health Education Specialist). Many hiring in public health would find this helpful. Your volunteering is an excellent idea to put you in communities and begin to build your network. Serving on coalitions of interest can also build connections of stakeholders in a health issue and population of interest (great practical training). You might also consider a CPH (Certificate in PH). I have been teaching and working in PH for nearly 20 years. I will gladly speak with you more. Hope this is helpful.

Your Answer

Please log in to answer this question.

Sign Up

You can join as either a Veteran or an Advisor.

An Advisor already has a career, with or without military experience, and is willing to engage with and help veterans.
Sign Up as an Advisor.

A Veteran has military experience and is seeking a new career, or assistance with life after service.
Sign Up as a Veteran.