Please upgrade your web browser

These pages are built with modern web browsers in mind, and are not optimized for Internet Explorer 8 or below. Please try using another web browser, such as Internet Explorer 9, Internet Explorer 10, Internet Explorer 11, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Apple Safari.

I have an other than honorable discharge in lieu of court martial. I have a RE code of “4” on my DD-214. Do I have hope in the civilian world? Can I find a decent career? What can I do what can I not do?


Angel Diaz Troy, NY

I was just a young foolish soldier when it happened. I really regret getting kicked out. Somebody please help.
Phone: 5189618895

8 January 2019 1 reply Mentoring



Tim Cochrane New York, NY

People make mistakes, sometimes big mistakes, show me someone who hasn't? My advice is to go after whatever it is you want. "Other than Honorable" is not the end of the world and without knowing all of the circumstances of why you received that discharge, you should be honest and state it as you did here, you made a mistake and (hopefully) have corrected the behavior. Make sure you present examples of how you have learned from it! Most employers will be impressed more with honesty, then your mistake.
Good Luck and Much Success!

Your Answer

Please log in to answer this question.

Sign Up

You can join as either a Veteran or an Advisor.

An Advisor already has a career, with or without military experience, and is willing to engage with and help veterans.
Sign Up as an Advisor.

A Veteran has military experience and is seeking a new career, or assistance with life after service.
Sign Up as a Veteran.