Please upgrade your web browser

These pages are built with modern web browsers in mind, and are not optimized for Internet Explorer 8 or below. Please try using another web browser, such as Internet Explorer 9, Internet Explorer 10, Internet Explorer 11, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Apple Safari.


15 year, prior enlisted Marine with Reconnaissance enlisted background and Intelligence Officer. I have a Dismissal discharge from service in 2009 and am living in NY waiting on hearing back my attorneys after submitting Relief of Civil Disabilities. I want to continue with Security work but always run into submitting Honorable DD214. Please help.


Gordon Robinson Eden, NY

I don't know what more details to include. All I know is that I made a mistake and had to start over in my life. It's been 10 years and I'm working at a friekin restaurant with all this military experience and I have no idea how to get a decent security job overseas!! So frustrated. Help.

23 August 2018 1 reply General



Bernard Agrest New York, NY

Hi Gordon,

First off, thank you for your service!

I’m sorry to hear that you are having issues with finding work in the Intelligence community. I’d encourage you continue to work with your Attorneys, but in the meantime, I also wanted to send along a resources on ACP AdvisorNet that was posted a few years ago that explores the same question that you are posing. I hope it offers some insight!

Please feel free to reach out if you have any other questions, and I wish you luck on your continued search.



Your Answer

Please log in to answer this question.

Sign Up

You can join as either a Veteran or an Advisor.

An Advisor already has a career, with or without military experience, and is willing to engage with and help veterans.
Sign Up as an Advisor.

A Veteran has military experience and is seeking a new career, or assistance with life after service.
Sign Up as a Veteran.