Please upgrade your web browser

These pages are built with modern web browsers in mind, and are not optimized for Internet Explorer 8 or below. Please try using another web browser, such as Internet Explorer 9, Internet Explorer 10, Internet Explorer 11, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Apple Safari.

Disability Filing


John Nance Murfreesboro, TN

My wife & myself are both veterans, and she has developed several health issues that prevent her from doing any type of strenuous physical activity. Based on her limitations it would seem that she would be eligible for disability, but we have no idea where to turn for assistance. Any suggestions or direction would be very much appreciated.

9 May 2018 3 replies General



Robert Jurasek Hollywood, FL

Dear John,

I recommend that any claim for disability compensation be filed through a VA-accredited Veteran Service Organization (VSO). You can find a list of VA-accredited representatives at My VSO of choice is Disabled American Veterans (DAV),, but there are many excellent organizations that are dedicated to assisting Veterans with their claims.

The VA website,, is a valuable source of information on filing compensation claims. The links on the website will provide answers to many of your questions, but please feel free to contact me if I can assist you in any way.

Thank you both for your Service!

Bob Jurasek


Ben Chu Baton Rouge, LA


You can visit this link for more information. The Veteran Service Officers usually are tremendously helpful so you want to talk to them. They should be able to pull your wife's service record and help apply for benefit for any disability that originated from her serving the country. I did not know about the benefits that available to Veterans until recently so you may be surprised to know the extent that America would go to take care of her Veterans. So go talk to your local VSO. Even if you or your wife had not been in combat, don't underestimate what those ruck march with 70 lb of weights could do to your body.


Dorian Meyette Cambridge, MA

Hi John, I'm sorry to hear that your wife is having a tough time right now. Is your wife working either full time or part time right now? If not, how long has it been since she worked? I would be happy to point you in the right direction. If she is working, or interested in working, I would also point her to vocational resources.

Your Answer

Please log in to answer this question.

Sign Up

You can join as either a Veteran or an Advisor.

An Advisor already has a career, with or without military experience, and is willing to engage with and help veterans.
Sign Up as an Advisor.

A Veteran has military experience and is seeking a new career, or assistance with life after service.
Sign Up as a Veteran.