- Rensselaer, NY
The Healthcare Association of New York State (HANYS) is seeking a Director, Research and Legislation to join our Governmental Affairs team. Reporting to the Vice President, Governmental Affairs; this position will manage and implement state legislative and advocacy activities for the Governmental Affairs Division.
Key responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Actively participate in the development, coordination, and implementation of HANYS' state legislative and advocacy activities and assist in strategy formulation, including:
- Represent HANYS and advocate on behalf of HANYS' members with both external and internal audiences, including at meetings with the Executive branch, NYS legislators, legislative staff, policy makers, and outside organizations, and at public hearings, meetings of advisory bodies and task forces, and other similar settings, as appropriate;
- Evaluate and provide subject matter expertise on key issues, including the state budget and legislation of interest to the HANYS membership;
- Coordinate the tracking and review of legislation with HANYS’ policy and legal staff;
- Coordinate targeted advocacy with applicable policy divisions and work with HANYS' members and HANYS’ staff on grassroots advocacy, including constituency-based advocacy and HANYS' annual lobby day in Albany;
- Participate and/or lead state policy development on specified issues;
- Establish and maintain effective collaboration and working relationships with external organizations and allied associations to accomplish objectives; and
- Represent HANYS' state activities to the HANYS membership and respond to member inquiries and issues.
- Develop and draft, as appropriate, member and legislative advocacy and policy communications, updates, and materials for dissemination to HANYS' membership, the Executive branch, the Legislature, legislative staff, and other policy makers and stakeholders.
• Bachelor’s degree is required, with an advanced degree preferred. An equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to satisfactorily perform the duties of the job may be substituted.
• A minimum of five years of related professional experience required, including comprehensive knowledge of the NYS Legislature, the Executive branch, and an understanding of the political landscape in New York State. Prior experience in government relations or within state government is preferred.
• Excellent written and verbal communications skills required. Experience with drafting position memos, briefs on healthcare issues, written communications to policy leaders etc., is strongly preferred.
• A solid understanding of healthcare policy and financing issues impacting healthcare providers is preferred.
• Periodic travel within New York State required.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office required.
We offer the opportunity to work in a dynamic environment that serves the health care industry as well as a competitive salary and an excellent benefits package, including a 401(k) Plan.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other legally protected status.
Please apply online at https://www.hanys.org/about/careers/