- Healthcare Association of New York State
- Rensselaer, NY
The Healthcare Association of New York State (HANYS) seeks a Director to join our Corporate Communications team. Reporting to the Vice President, Corporate Communications, this full-time position will promote the association’s advocacy positions and activities through earned media and internally created content. Key responsibilities include:
• Generates media coverage of the association’s advocacy positions and activities with special emphasis on:
o the Legislative Correspondents Association,
o National and New York health press, and
o New York media who cover the nation’s capital.
• Fields media calls, coordinates interviews with the appropriate Association spokesperson and serves as spokesperson in their absence.
• Works in conjunction with Director, Content Strategy to create daily social media content that supports advocacy objectives, including news stories, videos, blog posts, feature articles and white papers.
• Schedules and manages editorial board meetings, press conferences, and other media events, working with the regional associations and members.
• Works with Senior Director of Marketing to generate coverage of HANYS’ business subsidiaries in industry media.
• Develops message points on key issues for Association staff and members and maintains the Association’s electronic message point library.
• Assists in developing the Association’s advocacy agenda and legislative testimony.
• Builds coalitions with like-minded stakeholders.
• Maintains a database of HANYS staff interviews with external media.
• Trains and coaches subject experts for media interviews, including message creation.
• Bachelor’s degree required with a minimum of five (5) years’ experience in public/media relations. An equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to satisfactorily perform the duties of the job may be substituted.
• Extensive familiarity with the dynamics of state and federal politics. A strong understanding of the challenges of a state-wide association a plus.
• Proven ability to establish and foster strong relationships, with members, government officials, key decision makers and the media.
• Proficiency with writing AP style.
• Exceptional interpersonal and public speaking skills.
• Experience conducting on-camera interviews.
• Proven ability to work under tight deadlines and shifting priorities.
• Experience in Healthcare and/or New York State legislative bodies preferred.
• Social media (especially YouTube) and video editing experience a plus.
• Strong communication skills and a positive attitude.
We offer the opportunity to work at a Capital Region Top Employer* with a competitive compensation and benefits package, including a 401(k) plan.
Equal Opportunity Employer – race, sex, veteran or disability status, gender identity, sexual orientation.
As designated by the Times Union’s Top Workplaces program and employee survey since 2012
To apply, please use the following link: