- British Telecom
- Information Technology
- Chicago, IL
Field Service Engineer - Trading Systems (124901)
Location: Chicago IL Metro Area (Field Technician) - USA
Our mission is to break down the barriers of today to release the potential of tomorrow. Join us today and release yours.
Why this role matters
With customers in 180 countries, we're a leading global business communications provider. We have 17,000 people serving multinational companies, proving the services they need to create the digital transformation of their businesses.
Thanks to our portfolio strategy, the Cloud of Clouds, we provide high-performance, integrated and secure network and IT infrastructure services to global customers. It means our customers can connect easily and securely to the applications and data they need, wherever they are in the world. Our Digital GS strategy we are moving to will help create a better future for GS and our people. With a business focused around a global customer base and a portfolio of scalable repeatable solutions, supported by outstanding customer service and market-leading security.
To deliver it we need to focus where we can be brilliant, be more straightforward to do business with and meet customer needs with greater agility. This will help us to become a more profitable, predictable and customer-focused business.
What you'll be doing
- The role of the Engineer is to provide technical support for deployment and break/fix activities on our customer’s voice platforms.
- Direct areas of responsibilities include Voice and related technology areas such as our proprietary turret platform, CuCM, Avaya CM and various data networks.
- VoIP, IP Network, Network Appliance, SIP, DID/DDI and Transport technologies are required.
- This role also provides Tier I & II incident support.
- An understanding of the role involving troubleshooting practices and proactive/reactive tools are important.
- This role is part of a global solutions organization.
- This position will interface directly with internal and external customers; Product, Engineering, Service Delivery and Service Operations teams.
- Strong written, verbal and presentation skills are a must.
- The candidate must be able to work independently from satellite locations as well as in team settings in various sizes and locations.
- Be able to travel domestically and internationally as required.
- Adherence and use of standards, product sets, templates, systems and artifacts are important to the success of the Engineer, the department and the company.
- The Field Engineer will be considered a subject matter expert in their field and is expected to stay current with various technologies, organizational goals and industry trends to drive value.
- The candidate will need to submit to and pass a technical aptitude test in order to qualify for the position.
We'll also need to see these on your CV
- Candidate must have solid and demonstrated experience in developing and supporting solutions aligned to business requirements that utilize department’s standards, product sets, templates, systems and artifacts.
- Networking knowledge (i.e. routers and switches) and a strong understanding of VoIP products are important (i.e. various types of IP based voice products –CUCM, Communications Manager 7.x and higher, Avaya CM, Voice Recording, as well as legacy voice PBX vendors/products.)
- An understanding of turret technology is a must.
- Experienced in Trading Floor or Command Center environments is a plus.
- Must adhere to design standards and global design authority processes and procedures; computer skills and the use of various applications such as MS Project, MS Office, MS Visio are a must.
- Ability to liaise with 3rd parties and provide representation on behalf of the company, developing optimum solutions and ratifying designs.
- Ability to adapt various systems and customer environments to a converged technology (i.e. convert a legacy TDM site to an IPT site).
- Experience in configuring IOS based media gateway devices for ISDN PRI connections, as well as an understanding of advanced IP to IP gateway functionality is a plus.
- Bandwidth calculations, project descriptions, and ISDN PRI voice protocols are highly desirable skills.
- Voice and data network company transport such as; T1/E1, IP using Frame and private line networks.
- Working knowledge of various voice protocols (SIP is a must) and equipment, IPv4 addressing and Router components and functionality.
- The ability to assemble professional documents based on existing templates, ability to provide accurate job descriptions with needed hours for completion.
- Must understand project delivery lifecycle management, the concept of a Detailed Design, Test and Certification methodologies, Back-Out and Validation plans and procedures.
- Must maintain and adhere to department polices and processes in conjunction with the support function
- Is responsible for the quality of the service outputs of his/her work.
- The candidate must have excellent client interfacing skills, strong verbal and written communication skills and ability to work with all levels of management.
- Candidate should have experience operating with colleagues across different time zones with a flexible approach to working hours (ability to work varied hours) in order to successfully interact and communicate on a global level.
- Must have strong analytical skills.
- Minimum of three years’ experience required in Voice and Voice-related disciplines in support and implementation services.
- Certifications in Voice technologies and CCVP certification are a plus.
- Solid background in IT support role (i.e. engineering support for projects).
- Has participated in design and/or implementation of major IT projects.
Why choose us?
WHY CHOOSE BT:
BT in the Americas is a leading expert in managed networked IT services, operating globally and delivering locally. We work for 8,500 organizations, such as Nestle Purina, BMW, Credit Suisse, Deutsche Bank, Heinz, PepsiCo, Bristol-Myers Squibb, JP Morgan Chase, Bank of America, Fiat- Chrysler, Microsoft, NATO, NYSE, Thomson Reuters, Unilever, Volkswagen, Volvo and many more. By combining products and services with industry-specific solutions and consulting expertise, we deliver efficient and secure systems to our customers.
BT has had a presence in the United States for more than 30 years. Headquartered in Dallas, Texas, we have more than 3000 professionals, with offices in over 35 key cities across the US, Canada and Latin America. BT owns and operates its own network infrastructure in North America. This includes nation-wide reach to all major US cities with MPLS nodes across the US, making up one of the larger MPLS networks of any carrier in the region. This expanded footprint enables us to reach over 80% of key customer sites, as well as extending coverage beyond the US with MPLS points across the region.
BT sets high standards for its employees, but also strives to provide a work environment and culture that fosters health and wellbeing. Above and beyond your base salary, annual bonus OR sales compensation plan and full comprehensive benefits, BT offers high deductible health plans that empower employees to make good health care decisions, with the ability to use funds from a health savings account - to which BT contributes - that the employee manages and controls. In addition to a generous vacation allowance, all employees receive an additional 3 paid days per year to volunteer in their communities.
We value different perspectives, skills and experiences. We’re creating an inclusive working culture where people from all backgrounds can succeed. That’s why we welcome applications from all parts of the community.
BT is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status