- North Carolina & Virginia Railroad Co, LLC (NCVA)
- Operations & Logistics
- Ahoskie, NC
The person in this position assists with managing employees in the maintenance of the locomotive fleet. He or she ensures that all G&W safety rules and practices for Mechanical Department employees are followed explicitly. This person manages the maintenance and repair of locomotives and railcars so that they meet FRA standards, while reducing life-cycle costs and increasing reliability and availability.
This Mechanical Manager will oversee 2 railroads – NCVA (Ahoskie, NC) and CA (Elizabeth City, NC) which are more than 1 hour apart.
• Maintains employee safety records regarding scheduled safety rule presentations, job briefings, and safety films. Prepares schedules for the aforementioned events.
• Assists in the work process to maintain locomotive periodic maintenance schedule and ensure locomotives arrive to the shop on schedule.
• Assists in the maintenance of locomotive files to comply with FRA periodic inspections rules and GWI rules for record retention.
• Carries out the decisions concerning correct repairs and maintenance practices of locomotives
• Must be knowledgeable in the handling of hazardous and non-hazardous waste products
• Performs daily service of locomotive units: fuels, waters, lubricates and oils; wipes down and cleans unit/windows; checks supplies and drinking water.
• Assists in periodic and annual inspections and understands FRA regulations pertaining to inspections.
• Analysis and Problem Assessment - identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner.
• Interpersonal/Communications Skills - focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; speaks and writes clearly and listens to get clarification.
• Customer Focus - responds promptly to customer needs and solicits customer feedback to improve service.
• Initiative - volunteers readily; asks for and offers help when needed.
• Database and Computer Skills
• Teamwork - balances team and individual responsibilities.
• Attendance and Punctuality - is consistently at work on time.
• Motivation - demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
•Five years of experience maintaining diesel locomotives or railcars
•Knowledge of the safe handling of hazardous and nonhazardous waste products
•Knowledge of all aspects of the maintenance and repair of locomotives’ mechanical and electrical systems
•Knowledge of FRA and company maintenance procedures; knowledge of AAR and FRA regulations pertaining to car repair and inspections (if maintaining railcars)
•Good skills in Microsoft Word and Excel
•Ability to understand oral or written instructions and execute them to achieve desired results
•Ability to maintain good working relationships with other department heads and supervisors
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND/OR CREDENTIALS:
•Associate degree or technical degree in a related field or ten years of experience in car or locomotive maintenance; five years of managerial experience in car or locomotive maintenance preferred
•At least eighteen years of age
•Valid driver’s license
This position is employed by the specific entity set forth in the job posting.
Genesee & Wyoming Inc. and its subsidiary companies do not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or any other protected status under federal, state or local laws.