U.S. Navy Captain
30 years served
Seeking a career in government, policy, & international affairs
On November 1st, I completed a rewarding career in the U.S. Navy. The Navy afforded me the opportunity to serve at the executive level of leadership and develop expertise in strategic planning, policy analysis, litigation and legislation. Of particular note, I led personnel of diverse backgrounds and thrived on investing in their success. My intention is to leverage that experience and expertise in an organization committed to excellence and ethical decision-making.
Regional Chaplain Naval District Washington – Washington Navy Yard, DC, 2014 to Present
• Supervises more than 2,000 burials annually at Arlington National Cemetery for U.S. Navy, U.S. Marine Corps, U.S. Coast Guard
• Oversees religious accommodation for seven installations &advises Commandant on all matters pertaining to morale & spiritual well-being.
U.S. Naval Forces Central Command and U.S. FIFTH Fleet – Bahrain, 2012 to 2014
• Supervised chaplain movement and worship services for six Carrier Strike Groups & 5 Amphibious Ready Groups over 2.5 million miles of water space
• Special guest of the King and Crown Prince of Bahrain at the Royal Palace. Regular guest of the Manama Governor’s Majlis
Office of the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff – Pentagon, 2009 to 2012
• Forged dynamic partnerships with Jordanian Chaplains, the Department of State’s Office of International Religious Freedom, the Commission on International Religious Freedom, the Pew Research Center, Institute for World Politics, and Wounded Warrior organizations
Headquarters, U.S. Marine Corps – Washington, DC, 2008 to 2009
• Advised the Commandant of the U.S. Marine Corps on religious accommodation, suicide prevention, and sexual assault prevention.
Operational Ministry Center – San Diego, CA, 2006 to 2008
• Trained and equipped more than 30 chaplains and Religious Program Specialists to deploy in support of Carrier Strike Group and Amphibious Ready Group operations
Amphibious Group THREE – San Diego, CA, 2004 to 2006
Chief of Chaplains Office – Washington, DC, 2000 to 2004
Marine Aircraft Group 39 – Camp Pendleton, CA 1994 to 1997
Naval Training Center – Great Lakes, IL, 1991 to 1994
Destroyer Squadron 21 – San Diego, CA, 1988 to 1991
Beautiful Savior Lutheran Church – Memphis, TN, 1984 to1988
Education & Qualifications
Doctor of Ministry, Concordia Seminary, 2003.
Master of Arts, National Security and Strategic Studies, U.S. Naval War College, 2000.
Master of Arts, Psychology, United States International University (now Alliant International University), 1992.
Master of Sacred Theology, Concordia Seminary, 1988.
Graduate Fellowship, Universitat fur Bildungswissenschaften, Klagenfurt, Austria, 1982-83.
Master of Divinity, Concordia Seminary, 1982.
Bachelor of Arts, Greek, Hebrew and Psychology Concordia College, 1978.
Associate of Arts, Pre-ministerial St. Paul’s College, 1976.
Chartered Financial Consultant, American College, 2013
Senior Officer Legal Course, Naval Base San Diego, 2006